Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Week 2: Day 1

After a long weekend of relaxation and family fun, it was back to work this morning! Over the weekend we were asked to reflect on the reasons that we have done this internship and such answering three main questions: Who Am I? Why am I here? and What do I hope to gain from this summer? 

I split mine up into sub-categories and handed in a brief outline that I was able to flesh out in the discussion. I was inspired by my fellow interns and what they had to say on the subject. I personally identified with each of them in a specific way and I hope they did the same. I found that although we are very different, there are somethings that resonate with each of us in the others' personalities. Paul, our supervisor, gave great feedback on each of our goals and priorities. I can't wait to look back at the end of the summer and see how much I have grown and changed. 

Then we went to lunch at a place called Trevisio's that was AMAZING! I can't describe the experience to well because of my limited descriptive vocabulary, but it was SOOO good. Anyway, we had lunch. 

After that we headed down to MD Anderson and went for some visits. Again we went with Paul and he led the way. Paul took me into a room on a visit with a person that he had talked to before. Although we had to wear a gown and gloves and all that jazz, I found the visit very pleasant. Upon entering the room, one really has no idea what to expect, however, I found that the more I looked the patient in the eyes, the more I involved myself in the conversation, the less afraid I got. Perhaps it is in those moments when we want so badly to detach and run screaming from the room, we need to attach and allow ourselves to fully be in the room. I am not going to pretend that I didn't see the bags of IV fluid or the beeping machines and wires entangling the patient, but I found that I was truly able to concentrate on the patient. Perhaps she was dying. Perhaps she was sick (cancer and pneumonia). Perhaps she was hardly dressed and had been stripped of all control in her life. But she was living, that is for sure. Perhaps we should consider that she simply was. She was there. She was alive (the past tense is not meant to communicate a change in that capacity). It was enough. It is enough for God and for me that she simply was today. I don't know that it makes any sense, but I feel like that is my lesson from today. She was there and I was happy to see her. I was glad (and scared, but glad) to walk into her room for a short visit and a prayer and some discussion.

Tonight will be a good night to reflect and enjoy simply being. Perhaps that should go on my list of life goals. Everyday with my bowl of Wheaties, I will think to myself: Today I will be. 

(PS I don't really eat Wheaties)

Please comment and thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment