Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First Visit

Let me start off this blog by recounting my facebook status from this evening. I think it sets the tone quite nicely: "Kate Huggins...has never felt this kind of pain...in her feet!" Today was long and not hard aside from the fact that I am breaking in my two pairs of shoes that I shopped for on Monday. 

We began our day with the unforeseen fieldtrip to the administrative building of the TMC *Texas Medical Center* where we received our badges for Anderson *MD Anderson Cancer Center*. To my surprise, I was adequately pleased with the second picture that the lady took. I had emo-bangs in the first, covering my eyes. I decide that even if the gothic look is "in" it might scare sweet little patients in the ped's (pronounced "peeds")*pediatrics* ward over there. After that we spent our classroom time discussion our verbatim reports through which we will explore each other's visits. Those are going to be tons of fun. I can see it now. I do think that they will be highly educational though. 

After our 3 hour lunch break (Paul had a meeting) and a drawn out meal at our new Chinese favorite, Magic Wok, we went to the Methodist Hospital and sat in the lobby for a while. It looks like a hotel lobby basically, so it wasn't too bad. We talked about ACU chapel and some other policies and Carter gave good insight into Pepperdine's methodologies about that. 

When Paul arrived from his meeting we trekked over to Herman *Memorial Herman Hospital* to make our first round of visits. This time, Paul did the talking and one of us at a time, walked into the room with him to observe. The patient that I saw was highly receptive to our presence although he was tired because he had been up for three hours straight (his longest yet). He was in the intermediate care facility so we just stayed for a few minutes. After the visit, I identified my emotion as "confident" because I saw that I can really do this stuff, after some more training of course. 

I am highly fatigued and in order to give my all tomorrow, I need to get to sleep. Again, thanks for all the support! Please leave comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment