Friday, May 15, 2009

Creating Healing Communities


Last night after I posted, I went back to my aunt and uncles and spent a fairly uneventful night with them. Flossie and Fielding (Preston, Evan, and Carter's hosts) and Preston came over to our house to watch the Office and were thoroughly entertained. Apparently they, Fielding and Flossie, aren't huge Office fans. Anyway, I watched an episode of House and called it a night. 

Today was passed by having breakfast with my aunt's Bible study group (sweet ladies) and then meeting Hailey for lunch and the return of my most valuable asset, my glasses. I had left them at her house. Nothing really happened until 5:30 or so when I went to the boys' house (by this I mean co-interns) and we set off for the Lifeline Building. 

We ate dinner from a place called Hungry's and got to know each other a little better. Oh, I forgot the best part, the 45 minute long car ride to the building. We passed Joel Olsteen's Church and laughed a bit about that. Anyway, we learned about loss and crisis tonight and the very first part of helping people through things. Really though, most of what I learned was that I knew nothing. This is okay though. I was surprised to learn how much this ministry depends on knowing yourself and dealing with your losses and grief before you council. I am sure there will be more on that to come. Upon my first foray into the murky waters of chaplaincy, I suppose that I didn't know just how deep this all goes. I suppose that is why people can do it for so long and are so blessed by the ministry--they allow it to go deep. More on that later. Thanks for reading. Keep the comments coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment