Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Shock to the Heart

Each week is bringing a new flavor of this job that I have and more over, of this life that I am leading. Donny and Laura (former interns) both warned me of the shocking self-discovery that this internship is sure to bring about. I thought back to my junior year in high school and the major disillusionments and self-discovering I had done back then and dreaded that this might be a bit like that. However, I had no idea what was in store for me this week.

As I wrote in my last blog, I was on-call at MD Anderson on Monday, available for all families or patients in distress. That was a little tough but I got through it. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I had some fairly intense and long visits each day. I heard out the patients worries and concerns and assisted them, mostly by listening, in getting through some of it. I thought that I was dealing with it just so efficiently that I had no qualms about going about the rest of my life in the evenings. I then got some news about a friend of mine that has been admitted to MD Anderson with a serious diagnosis. Although this upset me quite a bit, I pushed it to the back of my mind and moved on swiftly to the rest of my life. I thought I had dealt with everything that I needed to.

Although when I didn't get restful sleep on Thursday night, I found out that something was not quite right. I had strange dreams that haunted me throughout the morning such as a dream about me getting sick and being confused. When I got to work, I found it very hard to concentrate on what we were discussing and had very few things to say (which is odd for me). I felt like I was on the edge of tears all day but couldn't pin point why. I decided that I was too emotionally compromised to go on visits straight away after lunch. I picked up my visit sheet in the office (which was enormous and compounded the stress) and went into the chapel armed only with time to spend, a Bible, and pen and paper.

I first cast off some surface stress by entrusting it to God in formal prayer. I journal prayer at night and devote time in prayerful thought throughout the day, but it dawned on me that I had not actually entrusted these things to God in a traditional prayer. I prayed for my friend, my patient, my family, and some other things that were on my list of life anxieties. Once I had swept off the dusty floor of my mind, I was expecting great relief, but didn't find any. I was led to spend some time in quiet mediation, striving to clear my mind from these anxious thoughts and letting words go as a manner of communicating them to God. As I sat there, I still felt pressure building up within me. So, I decided to do the one thing that almost always helps me bleed out some of my worries, I picked up my pen and started to write.

As the words flowed out of my mind and onto the paper, I began to see that this was going deep. Below the dusty floor of my mind, was a trap door leading down into my deeper fears and anxieties. I discovered that most of my anxieties were about things that I couldn't control. The unknowns if you will, had crept in like termites and began to eat away at the structure of my deep mind and heart.

Finally, I was led to the real fear that had been reeking the most havoc on me. It was a fear I had never sensed. It was the fear of not being satisfied with my decision to become a physician. It was my fear of turning away from that. I had never given myself permission in these last two years to want something different, to not be okay with the sacrifices that medicine was asking me to take. I was afraid of not wanting that any more. Silly isn't it?

I have felt, since I made that decision, that my lot was cast, my bags were checked, my boarding pass was non-refundable, non-transferable. I had not given myself permission to look at the big board of flights and rethink which one I wanted to get on. I realized that it was OK to not be ok with the sacrifices that doctors make for my life. I had spent so much time being affirmed and looking for affirmation that I had developed tunnel vision for my life. Everything was about med school. Everything. Grades, activities, my schedule, etc. Even my time with my friends was wasted to some extent when I got a grade back I was not happy about. I was worried for goodness sake about making a B in Organic Chemistry and scoring "Average" on the national standardized final. I wanted to be above average, not for me, but for med school.

My head bowed when I realized this and I identified the sin. Med school and the life of a physician, the power of a physician had become the pearl in the field that I wanted to sell almost everything for. But most of all, I was afraid of the fact that I wasn't okay with that.

Please do not be led to believe that I am altering my whole life plan right now. I am not dropping out of ACU. I am not changing my major. I am not even changing my pre-med concentration. I am however changing my way of thinking about the future. I am going to go into this next school year with a new mind set of finally allowing myself to be myself, allowing my thoughts of the future to be designated by the presence of God, not a stethoscope.

As you can imagine, this was a hard step for me to take. I had drawn a lot of identity from that designation. I am still healing from the scar of where that identity was attached to my heart. I ask for your prayers and your indulgences as I grow into whatever God wants me to be. Even if that is an elementary teacher, Mom. :)

Thanks for all your love, support and prayers. I am so very very very grateful to have such a base of friends, family, family friends, and friendly family to pour my heart out to.

5 comments:

  1. Kate, I'm glad that you are giving yourself permission to rethink your direction - even if you end up on the same track. It's critical to give those decisions up to God and make them in his presence, instead of it being a decision where the fast current of expectations have taken you. I pray that you can be at peace in a period of waiting. Allow yourself to be comfortable with questioning and not necessarily having an answer. Wait for Him. Sometime when you get back in Abilene we should visit sometime and I'll share my story with you between my junior and senior year at LSU.

    Blessings to you!
    Frances Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are dearly loved my friend...by all of us and above all, God. He has been working on you for sometime now and He will not cease in doing so. I, for one, am glad hear how you are having doubts/thoughts too.(Hope that doesn't offend you). I've realized that feeling like there no concrete path is one of the most difficult things I face. You are not alone! Keep holding on to Him
    ~Dara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that someone else feels. the same way. I have always wanted to teach and I have aleways had doubts about being able to teach well and enjoy what I do. Ever since I started college I have felt like i need to continue the path i started on as a teacher and never look at any other paths. I realized that I have choosen this path and I believe that it is tha path I want to be on. That took me a while to completly trust and I still struggle but it was somethng I talked to God about for a long time. I was not content with the decision tel I actually gave it to him rather then just complained about it to him. I believe that you will do well at anything you do, be it docter teacher or any other profession. Let God guide you in your decision and do what you love, not what you have always thought you should love. I miss you and hope that you continue to live and learn through this experience.
    -Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Thank you so much ladies for you comments.

    Frances, I would love to hear your story. Thank you for being a great role model for what a female minister can look like.

    Dara, You are like my sister and you know that. Your love and support keeps me getting up everyday. I believe that God speaks to us through our brothers and sisters in Christ. I can hear the comforting reassurance from Him in your message.

    Marnie, Thank you so much for sharing that you have had doubts and fears about contentment in a profession. I suppose we walk around acting like we know for sure when sometimes we don't. Thanks for being so honest. I love how you said, "Let God guide you in your decision and do what you love, not what you have always thought you should love." That is a perfect way of saying what I spent this whole blog trying to express!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I think that most students, particularly in a field of study that requires your heart and not just your brain, have a moment like this at some point. It is good that you are having these thoughts now, and that you are giving it to God. Your semester in Uruguay, away from everything and almost everyone familiar, will give you clarity. It is okay to want to be a doctor and to work your butt off to become one. It is also okay not to want that anymore. If you are "working for the Lord" then you will be blessed and be a blessing no matter which course you choose.

    ReplyDelete