Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm Chaplain Huggins, returning your page?

"Is that a question?" my Spanish teacher would ask periodically when I sounded unsure about a phrase that I was pronouncing. "Yes, Dr. Brown, I believe it was." I would reply back with utmost respect. "Oh, I see. Could you say it like it was not a question." He asked walking over to my desk. "Yes (I could but only because you have already implied my syntax was correct by dwelling on the tone of my voice rather than the jumbled phrases)..." and class would continue. Yesterday, while being on call, I answered a phone that way. "This is Chaplain Huggins? Returning your call? (Oh goodness let it have been a mistake)." 

However, my confidence grew a bit throughout the day as I lived minute by minute hoping that none of the communication devices strapped to my waist would make a sound. But they did. It was unavoidable. It was not that I didn't want to do the work that they would imply was needing to be done, but the shock of any second being whisked away to another hard, unfamiliar situation.

I only responded to three calls, one of which I passed on to the "Second call chaplain" because I was in a meeting with the family from the first call. Although I cannot reveal the nature of my visits, I can tell you that I was stretched yesterday. However, let me say in no uncertain terms that God was there with me. Lifting me up and holding me tight in every situation. 

I know that God blesses this ministry because I have seen it. I have seen it in others and I now know I have seen it in myself. I could not have done anything for either of those situations if God had not been in control. More on that later I am sure. 

I suppose its a bit like being in the desert and having nothing that can help you besides a little training. Don't mistake me for saying that the training was less than it could have been. It is all really good. But truly, training is only a tool. God is the craftsman that puts the oasis in front of you and tells you how to get there. 

Thanks for reading, more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment